Through the Rift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1)

4 posters

Go down

Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1) Empty Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1)

Post by Corsenna Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm starting this topic now so we can note anything we want to discuss when everyone is done with the reading.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

https://throughtherift.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1) Empty Re: Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1)

Post by Corsenna Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Alright so, you can probably gather from context but I'll just list everything that isn't stated plainly. In the prologue they mention fast-roping and it comes up a bunch of times through the series, it's their slang for rappelling, using a rope to quickly drop down from a height.

It may also be helpful to note that the events of Hard Contact (The mission on Qiilura) occur 3 months after the prologue (The Battle of Geonosis)

Something to note in the first section of Chapter one, it focuses a lot on the feelings of the character Darman, this is very relevant because unlike troopers, commandos spent every moment of their 10 years of life with their 3 other squads members. They refer to each other as brothers and the squad is the only kind of family they know and they are never separated unless one dies. So this is the first time in Darman's life that he didn't have his brothers to turn to.

When they mention chill-down it's referring to cryo-stasis or suspended animation.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1) Empty Re: Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Prologue and Chapter 1)

Post by PandaFace Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm

"Did you hold back while your brothers pressed on? Or were you just lucky?" I can't imagine how bad he'd feel later for that. I know it mentions feeling bad just shortly later but ... he must feel really awful. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from reversing it in my head, I'd imagine Fi asking me and I would be so mad and hurt. Then of course it would hit me how hurt Fi would be by that, the guy that's supposed to be my new brother. Then I'd be mad and hurt that they're just replacing my brothers, I'd be mad at myself if I even tried to imagine the new guy as my brother, and I'd be mad and hurt for being mad and hurt about it.

Just trying to imagine how these guys feel is the worst.
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by AlleKote Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm

PandaFace wrote:"Did you hold back while your brothers pressed on? Or were you just lucky?" I can't imagine how bad he'd feel later for that. I know it mentions feeling bad just shortly later but ... he must feel really awful. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from reversing it in my head, I'd imagine Fi asking me and I would be so mad and hurt. Then of course it would hit me how hurt Fi would be by that, the guy that's supposed to be my new brother. Then I'd be mad and hurt that they're just replacing my brothers, I'd be mad at myself if I even tried to imagine the new guy as my brother, and I'd be mad and hurt for being mad and hurt about it.

Just trying to imagine how these guys feel is the worst.
Absolutely! And reading it a second time is the worst. I know the character Fi now, and I love Fi so when Niner asks that it's like being stabbed right in the feels. Damn Karen Traviss.... right in the feels.
AlleKote
AlleKote

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 pm

I finish this chapter half hour ago. It not a hard one but do not really know how to pronounce Etain Tur-Mukan. Fi is one that get hurt later right? One that Ahnna has crush on?
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Ijiro wrote:I finish this chapter half hour ago. It not a hard one but do not really know how to pronounce Etain Tur-Mukan. Fi is one that get hurt later right? One that Ahnna has crush on?
Hahaha! Yes! Ahnna! And only Ahnna! No one else loves Fi more than they should ever love a character from a book.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlleKote Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Corsenna wrote:
Ijiro wrote:I finish this chapter half hour ago. It not a hard one but do not really know how to pronounce Etain Tur-Mukan. Fi is one that get hurt later right? One that Ahnna has crush on?
Hahaha! Yes! Ahnna! And only Ahnna! No one else loves Fi more than they should ever love a character from a book.
Hey now! You're the one that told me Fi was the best! And you're totally crushing on both Jaing and Mereel too so don't even start with me woman!
AlleKote
AlleKote

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:01 pm

AlleKote wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
Hey now! You're the one that told me Fi was the best! And you're totally crushing on both Jaing and Mereel too so don't even start with me woman!
At least neither of us are Sara, the one totally crushing on Ordo... he's too serious.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Corsenna wrote:
AlleKote wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
At least neither of us are Sara, the one totally crushing on Ordo... he's too serious.
But he's super serious in a protective endearing sort of way!
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 pm

PandaFace wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
AlleKote wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
You are all very weird people. I am glad I am not related to any of you.
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Ijiro wrote:
PandaFace wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
AlleKote wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
Excuse me? You're dead to me baby bro... As dead as Vin, Jay, and Taler.
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by AlleKote Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:26 pm

PandaFace wrote:
Ijiro wrote:
PandaFace wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
AlleKote wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
Ouch! Shots fired ladies and gentlemen!
AlleKote
AlleKote

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:28 pm

AlleKote wrote:
PandaFace wrote:
Ijiro wrote:
PandaFace wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
AlleKote wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
Ouch! Shots fired ladies and gentlemen!
Ooo... too soon, Bubbles. Gotta bring the fallen Theta boys in this?
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Real question, why it weird to call them gentlemen?
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Ijiro wrote:Real question, why it weird to call them gentlemen?
It's very civilian. All their lives they've been called things like Soldier, Clone, Dead men, Commando, or troop. Pretty much anything other than gentlemen and usually the more abusive the title used was the better (not actually but the trainers liked to pretend) to try to create an emotional distance from them. When you're constantly reminded that the clones are living breathing men it gets a lot harder to prepare them to go die for someone else's cause.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down