Through the Rift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to even?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to even? Empty Re: How to even?

Post by Corsenna Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm

AlleKote wrote:So what's the plan for when the two other people join us? I've never done this before so I'm just kind of winging it in the style of the group writing projects we did in Sabre.,but I assume we'll be learning less heavily on each other for our posts? I mean, I've worked pretty heavily with Spikey on pretty much all of mine, and I know Sparkles has been talking to everyone.
GOOD QUESTION! I've also been winging it like we did back in the day. I've actually only ever participated in one forum and I don't think I got in any more than a couple posts before it kinda fizzed out. I'm sure we can open up a discussion about that when the other 2 are ready to hop in.

Anyway I've been operating my own character in a 'limited consent' sort of way where as long as I know someone's going to be using him in their posts I probably don't care. In the way of how I've just been having you send me your drafts so I can just check for any little adjustments to his dialogue or actions that are necessary but don't feel the need to dictate every little thing to you. It just seems easier that way.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

https://throughtherift.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlleKote Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 pm

So what's the plan for when the two other people join us? I've never done this before so I'm just kind of winging it in the style of the group writing projects we did in Sabre.,but I assume we'll be learning less heavily on each other for our posts? I mean, I've worked pretty heavily with Spikey on pretty much all of mine, and I know Sparkles has been talking to everyone.
AlleKote
AlleKote

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 pm

PandaFace wrote:And you did alright little bro! Not amazing, but it could be so much worse.

I did better this time?
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Well, flipping my schedule hasn't worked so far so I'm working 3rd shift for a while at least. Iji is still going to be making his posts during the day though so you'll have to wait on him.

And you did alright little bro! Not amazing, but it could be so much worse.
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:51 am

I wrote without Sara this time sorry. I spell right now still. English dictionary is very help!
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Uugh... I swear I still exist guys! I just never knew Pachinko would be the bane of my existence... it's anyone else still alive here?
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 pm

amanthatlookedlikeme wrote:(As an aside I just realized that thinking in romaji might be difficult for someone who didn't grow up on latin/germanic text, and I can't wrap my head around that because I learned typing Japanese as typing romaji and having the IME convert... このワープロバカ)
It really shouldn't be that hard, I know the words I'm trying to use, and I know the English alphabet, but thinking about them in the same context will probably always feel wrong
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:37 pm

PandaFace wrote:I only ever saw the first episode of that one, I couldn't get into it. One I actually saw for the first time last week because Spike insisted was Gurren Lagann, she mentioned you explaining the difference between... (trying to remember romaji spelling for Spikes sake,) ningen and hito, they really missed something hugely important with that and they did it repeatedly.
OH DEAR LORD that one bothered me. I actually first watched TTGL before learning hardly any Japanese, and it was a totally different show when re-watching it. Yeah, there's an episode called ヒトっていったい何ですか? and there's a conversation between Nia and Shimon where they literally talk about the difference between 人 and 人間 to drive home the point to the audience that she's not 100% human and... the translators just dropped the ball.

Oh, uh, spoilers.

(As an aside I just realized that thinking in romaji might be difficult for someone who didn't grow up on latin/germanic text, and I can't wrap my head around that because I learned typing Japanese as typing romaji and having the IME convert... このワープロバカ)

amanthatlookedlikeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:31 pm

PandaFace wrote:I only ever saw the first episode of that one, I couldn't get into it. One I actually saw for the first time last week because Spike insisted was Gurren Lagann, she mentioned you explaining the difference between... (trying to remember romaji spelling for Spikes sake,) ningen and hito, they really missed something hugely important with that and they did it repeatedly. Still a great show though, it was really intense and comical when it wasn't ripping your heart out.
Human and person, I remember! Man I feel bad for Roxil because of this conversation though.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:22 pm

amanthatlookedlikeme wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Oh my god anime is the worst! When Spikey and I used to watch together we always had to watch in English, and this was before I could consider myself fluent, she needed the subtitles... I absolutely can't stand subtitles because they're ALWAYS wrong! Translators always seem to misinterpret things or miss important nuances in the different ways words are used and when you're hearing them the way the were meant but reading something that sends a completely different message ... it's just so aggravating.
Literally my life. Recently while watching the show-with-a-horribly-translated-title Attack on Titan with a friend, I had to pause it to go on a tirade about the nuance of the phrase (something like) その人々は思いがあるし being translated as "They have emotions..." totally missing the weight and tone of the word 思い.

And, besides, listening to people yelling おめぇをぶっ殺してやるぁぁぁ and whtanot doesn't really teach you how to speak a language how people use it.

(for what it's worth, I'm far from fluent; all my knowledge comes from a year-long study abroad I did in Kyoto... people find my Kansai accent to be hilarious)

I only ever saw the first episode of that one, I couldn't get into it. One I actually saw for the first time last week because Spike insisted was Gurren Lagann, she mentioned you explaining the difference between... (trying to remember romaji spelling for Spikes sake,) ningen and hito, they really missed something hugely important with that and they did it repeatedly. Still a great show though, it was really intense and comical when it wasn't ripping your heart out.
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:06 pm

PandaFace wrote:Oh my god anime is the worst! When Spikey and I used to watch together we always had to watch in English, and this was before I could consider myself fluent, she needed the subtitles... I absolutely can't stand subtitles because they're ALWAYS wrong! Translators always seem to misinterpret things or miss important nuances in the different ways words are used and when you're hearing them the way the were meant but reading something that sends a completely different message ... it's just so aggravating.
Literally my life. Recently while watching the show-with-a-horribly-translated-title Attack on Titan with a friend, I had to pause it to go on a tirade about the nuance of the phrase (something like) その人々は思いがあるし being translated as "They have emotions..." totally missing the weight and tone of the word 思い.

And, besides, listening to people yelling おめぇをぶっ殺してやるぁぁぁ and whtanot doesn't really teach you how to speak a language how people use it.

(for what it's worth, I'm far from fluent; all my knowledge comes from a year-long study abroad I did in Kyoto... people find my Kansai accent to be hilarious)

amanthatlookedlikeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:36 pm

PandaFace wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Oh hey! I just realized that for as long as there are only 4 active posters we can all make fun of Spikey and she won't even know!
Oh hey! Turns out this site actively updates notifications if you have it open! You're a terrible person!
I guess it does, cool. Love you Spikey!
I don't believe you.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Corsenna wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Oh hey! I just realized that for as long as there are only 4 active posters we can all make fun of Spikey and she won't even know!
Oh hey! Turns out this site actively updates notifications if you have it open! You're a terrible person!
I guess it does, cool. Love you Spikey!
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Oh hey! I just realized that for as long as there are only 4 active posters we can all make fun of Spikey and she won't even know!
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Stupid! Tell them, at home is 20. They not caring, here is not 20. Not cool.
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Little Iji is lying to you Spikey. Thanks you two, this might be the first time I laughed today. What is it he said first time you guys met? "Who is that girl and why is she crazy?" I'm sure he only hates you as much as he does me Very Happy BTW real translation: Because you're the worst. And from the post: Drink beer, it's good for you!

amanthatlookedlikeme wrote:はい、はい、just pointing out a fun 偶然のもの. albino It's been years since I've spoken Japanese properly, so it's just nice to stretch my legs a bit and speak, even in just 英和. My only other chances are watching anime, and we all know that everyone in anime always speaks in totally normal日常語.
Oh my god anime is the worst! When Spikey and I used to watch together we always had to watch in English, and this was before I could consider myself fluent, she needed the subtitles... I absolutely can't stand subtitles because they're ALWAYS wrong! Translators always seem to misinterpret things or miss important nuances in the different ways words are used and when you're hearing them the way the were meant but reading something that sends a completely different message ... it's just so aggravating.

Ijiro wrote:ビールを飲んで、それはあなたのために良いです!
Oh man, poor little Iji. For those of you who don't know, legal drinking age at home is 20, but it's also almost completely ignored. Underage drinking and smoking is super common. My little Iji just recently turned 20 so even though he already drank (less surprising if you know he lives with someone that makes Sake for a living) it's still a little like crossing a barrier... well little bro, you're not in Kansas anymore... and by that I mean Fukuoka. He thought he was going to go to a bar one night and grab a drink ... hahaha! Funny.
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Corsenna wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Also baby bro, you didn't log out on my computer and I noticed you tried to steal my birth year so I fixed it for you Razz

Poor Iji, now everyone knows he's the baby in the family! Although he hasn't yelled at me for calling him Iji yet Razz

あなたは最悪だから。... In English, because my sister love you I will be nice.
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:17 pm

PandaFace wrote:Also baby bro, you didn't log out on my computer and I noticed you tried to steal my birth year so I fixed it for you Razz

Poor Iji, now everyone knows he's the baby in the family! Although he hasn't yelled at me for calling him Iji yet Razz

Ijiro wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, damnit Iji talk sense! Suddenly I think I know how Roxil feels looking at all these scribbles.
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Ijiro wrote:それはおそらく私の英語よりも優れています。

Nah, I can understand what you're saying in English, and that will only get better with practice.

PandaFace wrote:I hate to be that person ... but my baby brother also promised me that he would git gud the same way I did ... using English every chance he got. I think a forum full of native English speakers is a good place for him to get that practice. I love my baby brother and think it will be really good for him to get this practice.
はい、はい、just pointing out a fun 偶然のもの. albino It's been years since I've spoken Japanese properly, so it's just nice to stretch my legs a bit and speak, even in just 英和. My only other chances are watching anime, and we all know that everyone in anime always speaks in totally normal日常語.

amanthatlookedlikeme

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:43 pm

I hate to be that person ... but my baby brother also promised me that he would git gud the same way I did ... using English every chance he got. I think a forum full of native English speakers is a good place for him to get that practice. I love my baby brother and think it will be really good for him to get this practice.
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Hey now, this is Murica! We talk English! And one of us is going to feel left out...
Corsenna
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:07 pm

それはおそらく私の英語よりも優れています。
Ijiro
Ijiro

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:04 pm

As an 面白い aside, this means that the majority of current posters here 喋る the 日本語. I'm 下手になった because I don't get much chance to 練習, 生きるing in America, だから。

amanthatlookedlikeme

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Also baby bro, you didn't log out on my computer and I noticed you tried to steal my birth year so I fixed it for you Razz
PandaFace
PandaFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum