How to even?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How to even?

Post by Ijiro on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 pm

PandaFace wrote:And you did alright little bro! Not amazing, but it could be so much worse.

I did better this time?
Ijiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Well, flipping my schedule hasn't worked so far so I'm working 3rd shift for a while at least. Iji is still going to be making his posts during the day though so you'll have to wait on him.

And you did alright little bro! Not amazing, but it could be so much worse.
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:51 am

I wrote without Sara this time sorry. I spell right now still. English dictionary is very help!
Ijiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Uugh... I swear I still exist guys! I just never knew Pachinko would be the bane of my existence... it's anyone else still alive here?
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 pm

amanthatlookedlikeme wrote:(As an aside I just realized that thinking in romaji might be difficult for someone who didn't grow up on latin/germanic text, and I can't wrap my head around that because I learned typing Japanese as typing romaji and having the IME convert... このワープロバカ)
It really shouldn't be that hard, I know the words I'm trying to use, and I know the English alphabet, but thinking about them in the same context will probably always feel wrong
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:37 pm

PandaFace wrote:I only ever saw the first episode of that one, I couldn't get into it. One I actually saw for the first time last week because Spike insisted was Gurren Lagann, she mentioned you explaining the difference between... (trying to remember romaji spelling for Spikes sake,) ningen and hito, they really missed something hugely important with that and they did it repeatedly.
OH DEAR LORD that one bothered me. I actually first watched TTGL before learning hardly any Japanese, and it was a totally different show when re-watching it. Yeah, there's an episode called ヒトっていったい何ですか? and there's a conversation between Nia and Shimon where they literally talk about the difference between 人 and 人間 to drive home the point to the audience that she's not 100% human and... the translators just dropped the ball.

Oh, uh, spoilers.

(As an aside I just realized that thinking in romaji might be difficult for someone who didn't grow up on latin/germanic text, and I can't wrap my head around that because I learned typing Japanese as typing romaji and having the IME convert... このワープロバカ)

amanthatlookedlikeme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:31 pm

PandaFace wrote:I only ever saw the first episode of that one, I couldn't get into it. One I actually saw for the first time last week because Spike insisted was Gurren Lagann, she mentioned you explaining the difference between... (trying to remember romaji spelling for Spikes sake,) ningen and hito, they really missed something hugely important with that and they did it repeatedly. Still a great show though, it was really intense and comical when it wasn't ripping your heart out.
Human and person, I remember! Man I feel bad for Roxil because of this conversation though.
Corsenna
Admin

View user profile http://throughtherift.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:22 pm

amanthatlookedlikeme wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Oh my god anime is the worst! When Spikey and I used to watch together we always had to watch in English, and this was before I could consider myself fluent, she needed the subtitles... I absolutely can't stand subtitles because they're ALWAYS wrong! Translators always seem to misinterpret things or miss important nuances in the different ways words are used and when you're hearing them the way the were meant but reading something that sends a completely different message ... it's just so aggravating.
Literally my life. Recently while watching the show-with-a-horribly-translated-title Attack on Titan with a friend, I had to pause it to go on a tirade about the nuance of the phrase (something like) その人々は思いがあるし being translated as "They have emotions..." totally missing the weight and tone of the word 思い.

And, besides, listening to people yelling おめぇをぶっ殺してやるぁぁぁ and whtanot doesn't really teach you how to speak a language how people use it.

(for what it's worth, I'm far from fluent; all my knowledge comes from a year-long study abroad I did in Kyoto... people find my Kansai accent to be hilarious)

I only ever saw the first episode of that one, I couldn't get into it. One I actually saw for the first time last week because Spike insisted was Gurren Lagann, she mentioned you explaining the difference between... (trying to remember romaji spelling for Spikes sake,) ningen and hito, they really missed something hugely important with that and they did it repeatedly. Still a great show though, it was really intense and comical when it wasn't ripping your heart out.
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:06 pm

PandaFace wrote:Oh my god anime is the worst! When Spikey and I used to watch together we always had to watch in English, and this was before I could consider myself fluent, she needed the subtitles... I absolutely can't stand subtitles because they're ALWAYS wrong! Translators always seem to misinterpret things or miss important nuances in the different ways words are used and when you're hearing them the way the were meant but reading something that sends a completely different message ... it's just so aggravating.
Literally my life. Recently while watching the show-with-a-horribly-translated-title Attack on Titan with a friend, I had to pause it to go on a tirade about the nuance of the phrase (something like) その人々は思いがあるし being translated as "They have emotions..." totally missing the weight and tone of the word 思い.

And, besides, listening to people yelling おめぇをぶっ殺してやるぁぁぁ and whtanot doesn't really teach you how to speak a language how people use it.

(for what it's worth, I'm far from fluent; all my knowledge comes from a year-long study abroad I did in Kyoto... people find my Kansai accent to be hilarious)

amanthatlookedlikeme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:36 pm

PandaFace wrote:
Corsenna wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Oh hey! I just realized that for as long as there are only 4 active posters we can all make fun of Spikey and she won't even know!
Oh hey! Turns out this site actively updates notifications if you have it open! You're a terrible person!
I guess it does, cool. Love you Spikey!
I don't believe you.
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Corsenna wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Oh hey! I just realized that for as long as there are only 4 active posters we can all make fun of Spikey and she won't even know!
Oh hey! Turns out this site actively updates notifications if you have it open! You're a terrible person!
I guess it does, cool. Love you Spikey!
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Oh hey! I just realized that for as long as there are only 4 active posters we can all make fun of Spikey and she won't even know!
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Stupid! Tell them, at home is 20. They not caring, here is not 20. Not cool.
Ijiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Little Iji is lying to you Spikey. Thanks you two, this might be the first time I laughed today. What is it he said first time you guys met? "Who is that girl and why is she crazy?" I'm sure he only hates you as much as he does me Very Happy BTW real translation: Because you're the worst. And from the post: Drink beer, it's good for you!

amanthatlookedlikeme wrote:はい、はい、just pointing out a fun 偶然のもの. albino It's been years since I've spoken Japanese properly, so it's just nice to stretch my legs a bit and speak, even in just 英和. My only other chances are watching anime, and we all know that everyone in anime always speaks in totally normal日常語.
Oh my god anime is the worst! When Spikey and I used to watch together we always had to watch in English, and this was before I could consider myself fluent, she needed the subtitles... I absolutely can't stand subtitles because they're ALWAYS wrong! Translators always seem to misinterpret things or miss important nuances in the different ways words are used and when you're hearing them the way the were meant but reading something that sends a completely different message ... it's just so aggravating.

Ijiro wrote:ビールを飲んで、それはあなたのために良いです!
Oh man, poor little Iji. For those of you who don't know, legal drinking age at home is 20, but it's also almost completely ignored. Underage drinking and smoking is super common. My little Iji just recently turned 20 so even though he already drank (less surprising if you know he lives with someone that makes Sake for a living) it's still a little like crossing a barrier... well little bro, you're not in Kansas anymore... and by that I mean Fukuoka. He thought he was going to go to a bar one night and grab a drink ... hahaha! Funny.
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Corsenna wrote:
PandaFace wrote:Also baby bro, you didn't log out on my computer and I noticed you tried to steal my birth year so I fixed it for you Razz

Poor Iji, now everyone knows he's the baby in the family! Although he hasn't yelled at me for calling him Iji yet Razz

あなたは最悪だから。... In English, because my sister love you I will be nice.
Ijiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:17 pm

PandaFace wrote:Also baby bro, you didn't log out on my computer and I noticed you tried to steal my birth year so I fixed it for you Razz

Poor Iji, now everyone knows he's the baby in the family! Although he hasn't yelled at me for calling him Iji yet Razz

Ijiro wrote:
Spoiler:
ビールを飲んで、それはあなたのために良いです!
Also, damnit Iji talk sense! Suddenly I think I know how Roxil feels looking at all these scribbles.
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Ijiro wrote:それはおそらく私の英語よりも優れています。

Nah, I can understand what you're saying in English, and that will only get better with practice.

PandaFace wrote:I hate to be that person ... but my baby brother also promised me that he would git gud the same way I did ... using English every chance he got. I think a forum full of native English speakers is a good place for him to get that practice. I love my baby brother and think it will be really good for him to get this practice.
はい、はい、just pointing out a fun 偶然のもの. albino It's been years since I've spoken Japanese properly, so it's just nice to stretch my legs a bit and speak, even in just 英和. My only other chances are watching anime, and we all know that everyone in anime always speaks in totally normal日常語.

amanthatlookedlikeme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:43 pm

I hate to be that person ... but my baby brother also promised me that he would git gud the same way I did ... using English every chance he got. I think a forum full of native English speakers is a good place for him to get that practice. I love my baby brother and think it will be really good for him to get this practice.
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Hey now, this is Murica! We talk English! And one of us is going to feel left out...
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ijiro on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:07 pm

それはおそらく私の英語よりも優れています。
Ijiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amanthatlookedlikeme on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:04 pm

As an 面白い aside, this means that the majority of current posters here 喋る the 日本語. I'm 下手になった because I don't get much chance to 練習, 生きるing in America, だから。

amanthatlookedlikeme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Also baby bro, you didn't log out on my computer and I noticed you tried to steal my birth year so I fixed it for you Razz
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corsenna on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:18 pm

KAYTEE!! I love Kaytee ... she's not weird at all... by her standards. She grew up on a giant sentient space tree and is actually 6 (7) people in one body, we have to cut her a little slack. I'm with Sara, you can feel perfectly free to use one of mine as well but if you want to try to make a character of your own you should. I'm sure people here could help you come up with ideas. I also like Sara's idea of having you write in English and rather than having her translate, just get help correcting it. I know you're insecure about your English but that post was really pretty good and going through correcting it with someone will probably help you get better. Plus ... technology ... tells you when your spelling is wrong already and if you use Word it checks your grammar as well.
Corsenna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PandaFace on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:56 am

Lesson one Bro, your English being bad is not the same as you being bad Very Happy I think it would be good for you to try and do it on your own. If you write what you want to in English I can try to help walk you through correcting it before you post instead of fixing for you myself. I think that sounds fair? I would also say try to come up with a character yourself ... but that would be a bit hypocritical considering I stole Alexia from Spikey right? Kaytee is a really awesome character and I think her power level would fit in fine considering her moral standpoint on using her full power on 'lesser beings' but Spike's friend thought it would be funny to have Thalia/Unit 00 in the same setting. MY opinion is go maximum weird, however you want to do that is ultimately up to you but asking for opinion's is never bad. We'll see if anyone else has thoughts on this.
PandaFace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum